(un)Occupy Abq GENERAL ASSEMBLY — April 4, 2012
Working Group Announcements
Housecleaning for GA
- Occupy Boston took over the state capital
- Brittney, Jesse and Lila all received written warnings from UNM about the student code of conduct. Lila met with Rob Burford, who is also her employer. She said he expressed a willingness to keep the lines of communication open with (un)Occupy.
- LAW-LAPALOOZA: receive free legal advice and counseling.
Thursday, April 12
Raymond G. Sanchez Community Center.
9800 4th Street NW Albuquerque, NM 87114
- Conference call with an original member of the Black Panthers,
Thursday, April 12
Contact Sayrah if you are interested in participating or learning more. sayrahn (at) hotmail (dot) com
- Andy went to Mexico and saw Javier Sicilia (a poet, essayist, novelist, activist and journalist in Mexico) who made a call to the US to push for their government to 1) legalize drugs, 2) end the Marita Initiative and 3) stop the flow of guns flowing south.
- 99% Spring– an event being led by a Union Group. Do we want to participate?
- April 17– many organizations will be doing tax day actions. Does (un)Occupy want to do anything?
WORKING GROUP ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Mock Wall:
a week-long event starting Sunday, April 16. The University is encouraging overnight stay. There is a call for people to help assemble the wall all day on April 15 at Smith Plaza on the UNM Campus in front of the library.
- May Day:
the last meeting with El Centro de Igualdad y Derechos was on Wednesday. They are going to March from Robinson Park to Central and 3rd, to Lomas, and back to Robinson Park, where there will be a rally from 6:30-7 pm. The march will begin at 5:30 pm. They would like to focus on wage theft and the governor’s stance on immigration and immigrant rights. Their next meeting is Feb. 20 at 5 pm at Plaza Encuentro.
They want to do a theater march on May Day– a “Walk to End Capitalism” that joins up with El Centro’s march. Next meeting: Saturday at 4 pm at the Peace and Justice Center or Yale Park.
Attended an event sponsored by United South Broadway to support real people in our community facing foreclosure.
Medicine for the People
Next meeting: April 8 at 5 pm. (location unknown)
HOUSEKEEPING: the current state of working groups
- Foreclosure: active but not meeting
- Medicine for the People: meeting
- Mock Wall: meeting
- UNM Student, Staff and Faculty: meeting
- Anti-capitalists: meeting
- May Day: meeting
- Labor Union Solidarity: not meeting
- General Outreach: not meeting
- Media: not meeting
- Web Site: not meeting
- Statewide Solidarity: not meeting
- UNM Faculty: duplicate group:: disbanded
Proposal: Perform housekeeping on working groups every 3 months. PASSED
Proposal: Discuss what to do about inactive working groups next week. PASSED